Are you looking to increase the performance of your GMC Sierra? Upgrading the vehicle’s headers can significantly improve engine power and efficiency. You can now learn how to improve your truck’s performance with this comprehensive guide. Discover the many benefits of upgrading your GMC Sierra’s headers today!
Putting a larger diameter performance exhaust system on your GMC Sierra can increase horsepower and torque, improve fuel economy and add a more powerful engine sound. But in many ways, the headers are where it all starts. The headers are what initially moves the exhaust from the engine to the remainder of the system.
Upgrading your GMC Sierra’s headers will give you improved engine performance due to increased flow rates for better power, better emission control and might even yield a few extra miles per gallon depending on your truck’s setup. When you upgrade to aftermarket GMC Sierra headers like those from leading manufacturers such as Kooks or Doug Thourley Headers, you get smaller-sized pipes that put less stress on the motor – ultimately reducing any back pressure. The key reasons for investing in a good set of headers for your GMC Sierra includes these benefits:
- Increased Horsepower – Whether you’re looking to make more top end power or just want faster acceleration, adding larger diameter headers is a great way to do it.
- Better Gas Mileage – By decreasing the amount of back pressure exhausting from each cylinder head into the rest of your system, you can potentially gain some MPG with aftermarket exhaust headers installed on your Sierra.
- Improved Sound – Upgrading with high flow race-style exhaust header upgrades is also great if you want to add an aggressive engine sound and look of your Sierra pickup truck as well.
With this guide we’ll discuss some important tips for getting started and installed with new bigger sized performance headers for GMC Sierras—as well as what type might be best chosen for certain trucks!
Explanation of what headers are
Headers, also known as exhaust manifolds, are tubular parts made to improve the efficiency and output of an engine’s exhaust by allowing more air to flow through. They allow for a larger pipe for improved air movement and prevent backpressure from reaching the engine. By allowing for more airflow, headers can increase horsepower and torque. This is especially beneficial when putting heavy loads on your truck or taking it off-road.
For GMC Sierra owners who want improved performance, one of the best places to start is with a header upgrade. Headers are often specifically designed to fit a particular vehicle model, so finding the right set of performance headers means looking at options that are compatible with the Sierra. Aside from getting into better shape and increasing power, upgraded headers will also add durability and longevity since they will be better able to withstand extreme temperatures as well as high levels of vibration due to regular use on challenging terrain or in location with varying weather conditions.
Benefits of Upgrading Headers in GMC Sierra
Upgrading the headers in your GMC Sierra will improve the performance of your vehicle and is an easy way to make repairs or upgrades that can boost the power of your engine. Upgrading will help to increase fuel efficiency, horsepower, and torque while reducing emissions. Below are just a few of the benefits that come with upgrading your GMC Sierra’s headers.
- Increased Horsepower – Upgrading the exhaust manifold (or headers) on your GMC Sierra will result in more efficient extraction of exhaust gas through increased tubing size and improved shape for efficient flow. This increased efficiency means more horsepower at lower RPMs when compared to a factory-installed exhaust system.
- Improved Fuel Efficiency – Exhaust gases which were formerly expelled out inefficiently through a stock exhaust manifold will now be redirected and processed more efficiently with an upgraded header system on your GMC Sierra. This improved efficiency results in better fuel economy for those seeking better performance from their vehicle.
- Torque Increase – There is no doubt that boosting power and torque means increased thrill during acceleration performance, with an upgraded header giving you improved response at lower RPMs than before it was installed. Your engine will now have bigger pipes to produce higher pressure on consumption side as well as leading to faster boost when throttle is pressed hard during acceleration run or driving up hill or on mountain roads while racing other cars around town.
- Cooler Exhaust Gases – One key reason why headers are so important for improving car performance is because they keep exhaust gas cooler better than stock manifolds do – this gives the engine extra energy upon combustion which allows it to achieve higher levels of speed and power than what would otherwise be possible without this upgrade in place.
Improved Engine Performance
GMC Sierra Headers can improve your truck’s engine performance by increasing exhaust flow and allowing for a better flow of exhaust gases away from the engine. The improved flow from the headers will allow for an increase of power and torque in your GMC Sierra, making it a more reliable and capable vehicle. This increase in power and torque results directly from the improved exhaust flow as well as a better overall engine efficiency, which in turn saves fuel. You may even notice an improvement on your vehicle’s emissions as well.
With improved engine performance, installing GMC Sierra headers will make your vehicle more fun to drive and able to handle more difficult terrain with ease. Additionally, all-wheel drive models, such as 4x4s and all-wheel drives, may experience increased towing capability under certain conditions due to improved stability and traction control resulting from upgraded headers.
Increased horsepower and torque
One of the major benefits of upgrading the headers on your GMC Sierra is a major boost in horsepower and torque. The headers are designed to increase exhaust flow, which allows for more oxygen to enter the engine. The improved airflow results in an increase in both power and torque, as well as a better fuel economy.
This is because the higher efficiency allows for more power while keeping emissions low. On average, you can expect to see an increase of 10-20 horsepower and 15-35 lb-ft of torque when upgrading your Sierra’s headers. However, these gains can vary depending on your specific model and other modifications that may have been made to the engine or exhaust system already.
Better fuel economy
Replacing the restrictive factory header with a more efficient exhaust housing can improve fuel economy for your GMC Sierra. Many aftermarket headers are constructed using high-grade stainless steel or titanium – both materials can reduce back pressure by up to 50%, significantly improving the vehicle’s fuel efficiency.
A higher airflow through the engine gives the GMC Sierra a more efficient combustion process that requires less fuel to maintain power and coolant temperatures. This is especially true for vehicles that offer “Hemi” or other advanced designs. High-grade headers can also allow your vehicle to run at higher compression ratios, allowing it to reach a maximum torque output with minimal fuel consumption. The end result is lower emissions and improved MPG numbers, saving you money at the pump!
GM model truck headers can help you get the sound you want from your vehicle. As the exhaust gases leave your engine, it is necessary to use a pipe that is designed to reduce back pressure so those gases can exit more quickly and with more force. That is when headers come in — they are designed larger than the factory’s exhaust system with special bends to funnel out all of the gas.
With cheaper models, this creates a rush of air that carries with it an unpleasant noise, but higher quality headers usually have chambers known as ‘mufflers’ to smooth out some of this sound as well. This makes for a much louder and more powerful sounding exhaust note without too much excess noise, giving you a better-sounding GM Sierra.
More aggressive exhaust note
Owning a GMC Sierra is something to be proud of, but even the best workhorses need a little extra oomph on occasion. Many GMC Sierra owners install aftermarket headers as a way to upgrade the performance of their vehicle. A number of benefits are associated with installation – from improved fuel economy and power gains, to that extra aggressive exhaust note every performance enthusiast loves. Here’s a look at some of the benefits of adding headers to your GMC Sierra:
- More aggressive exhaust note: Cat back systems provide an increase in the overall sound level, but replacing your factory manifolds with stainless steel (long tube) headers takes things up another notch—providing a much more throaty and robust sound than any aftermarket exhaust alone can provide at higher RPMs.
- Increase torque and horsepower: Replacing your manifolds with long tube headers from an experienced aftermarket manufacturer provides significant power gains and can add as much as 20-30 horses for naturally aspirated engines and 40-60 horses for forced induction applications.
Improved exhaust tone
Upgrading your GMC Sierra’s headers can significantly improve the exhaust tone of your truck. Many factory exhaust systems can sound flat and uninspiring, while a good set of aftermarket headers can work wonders to bring out a deep and throaty growl when you step on the gas. Further down the line, you should think about adding an exhaust system as well. The combination of improved airflow from upgraded headers and an aftermarket muffler can really turn heads when you hit the road!
It’s worth noting that installing headers is fairly intricate process, so if you don’t have experience with high-performance vehicle upgrades it might be best left to the professionals. A good shop should be able to recommend a header system package which is tailored for your Sierra model year, whether it’s 2WD or 4WD and how long/wide/thick it needs to be. Take your time, research all available options and investigate customer feedback before making an investment in any particular product.
Upgrading your GMC Sierra’s headers provides a number of performance benefits, including increased power and improved fuel economy. The key to achieving these improvements is choosing the right headers. The most important factor to consider when selecting headers is the material used.
Headers are usually made from either mild steel or stainless steel. Mild steel is more affordable, but tends to rust quickly due to its low corrosion resistance. Stainless steel is much more corrosion-resistant and will last significantly longer, but it can also be significantly more expensive. If you invest in a set of stainless-steel headers for your GMC Sierra, you’ll see a much longer lifespan out of them than with mild steel ones.
Protection against heat damage
When the exhaust gases pass through the headers, they are very hot. If not properly cooled, they can damage the engine and other components of the Sierra. To keep your exhaust gas from getting too hot, GMC has designed its Sierra headers to feature carefully engineered cooling paths. These guarantee a safe temperature for your exhaust system without sacrificing performance.
This means that when you upgrade your GMC Sierra’s headers, you’ll get all the power and torque benefits without any risk of damaging components due to heat exposure. Not only that, but GMC ensures that its advanced cooling technology won’t increase fuel consumption either, helping you save money in the long run.
Factors to Consider Before Upgrading Headers in GMC Sierra
Before installing headers onto your GMC Sierra, it is important to consider a few factors that could influence the performance and reliability of your vehicle. Some points of consideration include:
- Compatibility: Ensure that the headers you are purchasing are suitable for your specific GMC Sierra model. Different generations and trim levels may require different variants.
- Materials: Because the headers will be subjected to high temperatures from the exhaust gases, selecting a material that is made to resist corrosion and oxidation is essential in order to maintain the quality and longevity of your new components. Consider options such as stainless steel or chrome-plated materials that can increase durability over time.
- Installation Difficulty: Most headers can be installed with basic tools, however some aftermarket models may require more advanced tools or even professional help due to their complexity and individualized designs. Make sure to research what kind of installation and modifications would be required before deciding on an upgrade option for your GMC Sierra’s headers.
Compatibility with the Vehicle
When it comes to upgrading the headers on your GMC Sierra, it is important to choose parts that are compatible with the vehicle. The headers come in two distinct styles: short-tube and long-tube. Short-tube headers are designed for short engines and they provide a good blend of sound and performance, while long-tube headers are designed for larger engines and they offer more top-end power.
Once you have determined which type of header will work best for your engine, you also need to make sure that it is tuned properly. This means finding out what type of exhaust system your vehicle has installed so that you can ensure the headers will fit without modification. It’s also important to make sure that the engine is properly tuned for specific modifications such as the installation of headers, as the wrong air/fuel ratio can lead to poor performance or damage.
In conclusion, upgrading your GMC Sierra’s headers will offer a host of benefits to your vehicle and allow you to confidently take on more tough off-roading trails. Not only will the improved sound from the larger headers improve your driving experience, but you’ll also be able to enjoy a smoother and more powerful ride due to the increase in acceleration and power. Additionally, upgrading your headers can help extend the life of your engine and reduce carbon build-up, resulting in fewer maintenance costs.
It is important that when investing in new headers for your GMC Sierra, you opt for high-quality parts that are specifically designed for the make and model of your vehicle. In addition, it is advisable to have a licensed mechanical technician install your new V6 or V8 replacement Headers for optimal safety and performance. With proper installation, care and routine maintenance, you can enjoy years of enhanced off-roading adventures with upgraded headers in place.
What is the purpose of upgrading headers?
Upgrading headers can improve engine performance by allowing exhaust gases to flow more efficiently out of the engine.
Is it worth upgrading headers?
It depends on the specific vehicle and the goals of the driver. Upgrading headers can provide performance benefits, but may not be necessary or worthwhile for all drivers.
What are the benefits of installing headers?
Installing headers can provide benefits such as increased horsepower and torque, improved throttle response, and a more aggressive exhaust note.
Do bigger headers mean more power?
Not necessarily. The size of the headers should be matched to the engine’s needs and modifications, and may vary depending on factors such as engine displacement, camshaft profile, and intended use.
Will headers change exhaust sound?
Yes, headers can change the exhaust sound by allowing for better airflow and a more efficient exhaust system.
Do headers increase rpm?
Headers alone do not increase RPM, but can help improve engine performance by reducing exhaust backpressure and allowing for better airflow.
Do headers help turbo?
Headers can improve the performance of a turbocharged engine by allowing exhaust gases to flow more efficiently, reducing backpressure, and improving turbo spool-up.
Does headers increase fuel economy?
Headers alone may not significantly increase fuel economy, but can be part of a larger package of modifications that can improve overall engine efficiency.
Are headers better than exhaust?
Headers and exhaust systems serve different functions, so it’s not accurate to say that one is better than the other. Headers improve exhaust flow, while an exhaust system helps to muffle the sound and direct exhaust gases away from the vehicle.
What is the disadvantage of headers?
One disadvantage of headers can be the potential for increased heat under the hood, which can cause problems with other engine components if not properly managed. Additionally, headers can be more expensive than other exhaust system upgrades.
- Best upgrades for GMC Sierra
- Best bug deflector for GMC Sierra
- Best bull bar for GMC Sierra
- Best leveling kit for GMC Sierra
- Best wheel spacers for GMC Sierra