Are you looking to level out your Ram 1500? This guide is everything you need to know about the leveling kit – from how it works to the benefits and installation process. You’ll find out why this is such an important upgrade for any pickup owner. Ready for an easy ride on your next adventure? Let’s get started.
A Leveling Kit for the Ram 1500 has become an increasingly popular choice among pickup truck owners. The kit provides additional clearance, which allows for bigger wheels and tires, as well as giving a more aggressive stance to the Ram 1500. It also helps your Ram look better and perform better off-road. But not everyone knows what a Leveling Kit is, how it works, and what parts are needed to complete the installation.
In this guide, we’ll provide you with all the necessary information related to a Leveling Kit for a Ram 1500 so you can decide if it’s the right modification for your pickup truck. We’ll discuss its benefits, what it is, what components are included in the kit and much more. By understanding all components of your Leveling Kit installation , you will be able to confidently make an informed decision when selecting one for your Ram 1500. So let’s get started!
What is a leveling kit?
A leveling kit is a simple modification that has the potential to drastically improve the look of your Ram 1500 pickup truck. It is designed to give your vehicle more attitude and a more aggressive, leveled stance by raising the front of the vehicle to match or slightly exceed the rear’s ride height.
In most cases, the kit consists of coil spacers or short strut spacers, which are inserted in between your existing springs and shocks in order to raise up the front end. Depending on your specific model, you may also need additional components such as brake lines and steering extensions for full compatibility with your vehicle.
Definition of leveling kit
A leveling kit is an aftermarket product that is used to raise the height of a Ram 1500 from its stock configuration. Designed to compensate for front-end sag due to heavy payloads, a proper installation will add stability and improve ride quality by providing better weight distribution for the truck.
Leveling kits typically consist of one or two strut spacers or coil spring spacers that fit between the top of the struts and the frame, allowing it to be raised slightly higher in the front than at the rear. It’s important to note that these components do not affect suspension travel or geometry, so they are not considered ‘lift kits.’ Instead, they merely allow you to lift your Ram’s nose up to a level with its tail.
There are several advantages associated with a leveling kit including improved looks, higher ground clearance (particularly when off-roading), better braking performance and adding extra space for larger tires if desired. With major upgrades such as shocks and new springs usually not necessary, a good 2-inch leveling kit is generally an affordable solution for many trucks owners. What’s more, adding just enough lift can help minimize loss in MPG when carrying heavier loads – perfect for Ram 1500 drivers who like some light hauling on occasion.
Types of leveling kit
Leveling kits exist in many types, depending on possible height gains. Some of them belong to the category of “budget” levelers, while others are much more advanced so that they can provide further ride improvement and increased height changes. Below is a brief overview of the most popular types of leveling kits:
– Body Lift Kits – These are designed to change clearance between the undercarriage and body parts and are perfect for providing additional ground clearance. They’re quite affordable, easy to install and provide a lot of benefits with minimal effort.
– Strut Extensions – Strut extensions will take care of changing the angles at which your vehicle approaches and recedes from an obstacle, allowing for better ride comfort. Not only that, but they’ll also allow for two inches of extra wheel travel which can help suspension components last longer due to decreased strain on them.
– Coil Spring Spacers –These spacers require no modifications or adjustments and can fit any model or make car with just few components being required like platform spacer, blocks, washers etc.. They’re usually used in place of strut extensions to even out weight distribution when taller tires/wheels have been used as compared to stock ones.
– Suspension Lift Kits – This type is designed specifically for creating more ground clearance plus wheel to wheel upfitting. It requires major modifications on your vehicle since it lifts axle housings which may include swapouts with new materials as well as cutting into its frame if necessary.
How does a leveling kit work?
A leveling kit is an aftermarket suspension component that lifts the front end of a vehicle, which in turn improves both the aesthetics and performance of your Ram 1500. Typically, when you purchase a leveling kit, it includes spacers to be placed between your frame and coil spring as well as an upper control arm relocation bracket.
This folding metal bracket, which comes with the kit, holds up your top control arm when the front end of your Ram is raised, so that the geometry of your vehicle remains correct. A properly installed leveling kit will cause no negative effect on your factory alignment settings- allowing you to preserve ride quality and tire mileage.
When combined with an adjustable rear block lift (which is typically recommended for trucks), a leveling kit creates a subtle “leveled stance” look and provides improved aerodynamics for better fuel efficiency. Installing a proper leveling kit also reduces wheel well gap for increased wheel clearance on larger tires or additional accessories. Thanks to its impressive list of benefits, it’s easy to see why this type of lift has become increasingly popular in the off-roading enthusiast community.
Explanation of leveling kit mechanics
A leveling kit is a set of aftermarket suspension components designed to increase the ride height of a vehicle. It is commonly used in trucks, particularly to level an unbalanced truck with a larger wheel and tire package on the rear axle. This will improve reliability on rough terrain and increase the vehicle’s ground clearance for off-roading. Leveling kits typically consist of torsion keys, strut spacers or lift blocks that can be installed by mechanics or DIYers alike.
Torsion keys are a popular option for lifting the front of your vehicle and improving handling at the same time. They replace your factory torsion bar with adjustable torsion bars that allow you to control how much lift you want in the front end. You can also find aftermarket sets designed specifically for your truck which include calibration settings for proper alignment settings, tightening specifications and other installation information.
Strut spacers are another option for lifting your Ram 1500 since they provide extra space between your wheels and body, allowing more room to fit larger wheels and tires while not affecting ride quality too drastically. These adapters are mounted just above your factory coil inner spring and below shock absorber caps and will give your truck up to two inches of raised height as long as you choose high-quality spacers from reliable brands like Daystar or PPE rubicon Express. Installation is fairly simple using basic hand tools once you have loosened the upper strut mount nuts or bolts from underneath the wheel well area.
Benefits of leveling kit for Ram 1500
Installing a leveling kit in your Ram 1500 offers a variety of benefits, such as:
– Increased ground clearance. This allows the vehicle to navigate more challenging terrain without fear of hitting rocks or scraping the undercarriage.
– Improved ride quality and smoother handling. By evening out the height between front and rear, your Ram 1500 becomes better balanced and easier to manage on long road trips or day-to-day errands.
– An enhanced aesthetic appeal. The leveled design gives an impressive, aggressive appearance that will turn heads on the road or trail.
– Increased potential for larger tire sizes with improved off-road performance. Larger tires can give buyers more confidence when navigating tough terrain in their Ram 1500s.
Potential issues and concerns
Though a leveling kit typically is fairly straightforward to install, there are some potential issues and concerns you may want to consider as you plan your installation. As you find yourself on uneven terrain with a higher stance than stock, you may want to be aware of the following conditions:
– Potential excessive suspension wear: The added weight of the leveled truck on top of larger tire sizes can lead to accelerated wear and strain on the ball joints, tie rods and other parts of your suspension. Make sure you routinely inspect all parts in order to ensure they are in good condition.
– Reduced fuel economy: Complimenting larger tires with a higher ride height will have an effect on your fuel economy. Lifting your vehicle too much may reduce traction needed for maximum acceleration, which could also increase air drag.
– Effect on headlights or headlamp angle: Your aftermarket headlights can play a big role when thinking about your desired ride height; that’s because Ram 1500 headlight beams remain at their stock angles even after lifting the vehicle, meaning if your headlights are not designed for a lifted chassis then they might not be pointing in the right direction during nighttime drives.
– Difficulty negotiating off-road trails: Despite its expected update in 2021, the Ram 1500’s body frame still sits relatively low relative to competitors from Ford or Chevy. If you plan on off-roading extensively or navigating difficult terrain with large dips or inclines, extra caution must be taken since there could be potential hindrances depending on how high or low you decide to make it with a lift kit or leveling kit.
Factors to consider before buying a leveling kit
It’s important to consider a few factors before you decide to buy a leveling kit for your Ram 1500. Installing a kit can affect several elements of your vehicle’s suspension, including how it drives, how much weight it can bear, and its overall resale value. Because of this, make sure to educate yourself on the topic and the different types of kits available before you make any purchases.
First, be aware that certain effects may apply when you install a leveling kit on your Ram 1500. It will lift the suspension in front—typically by two inches or more—which increases the nose-high stance that some trucks naturally have. This affects what kind of ride quality you get and can impact tire wear if not installed correctly.
Next, consider weight ratings when selecting a leveling kit because they help determine what kind of load the kit can manage without experiencing premature wear or damage. Look at aftermarket kit specs carefully and consult with a shop mechanic or an experienced off-roader knowledgeable about four-wheel drive vehicles if possible.
Finally, think about the situation surrounding resale value if you anticipate selling your Ram 1500 in the near future; since parts such as fine leather interiors usually increase its worth later on, many dealerships expect original equipment upon review (not an absence). Verifying that an installer used only superior components before purchase (to avoid accidents from shrunk or melted components) could potentially give added confidence to buyers as well as preserving your vehicle’s original worth.
The cost of a leveling kit for your Ram 1500 can vary widely depending on what type of kit you buy, who manufactures it, and where you purchase it. Generally, you should be prepared to spend anything from $150 – $400 depending on what kind of kit you’re looking for.
Some of the most affordable kits are made with spacer-type materials such as polyurethane or steel that can come preassembled, while more expensive kits may be specialized kits made of aluminum and other high-end materials. Cheaper Options have nothing more than spacers that raise up the front end to level out the truck. More expensive options will include adjustable coil springs and other modifications that strengthen the suspension components and increase stability performance.
Regardless of which route you choose to go, just make sure you purchase a quality product from a trusted brand to ensure both safety and longevity for your Ram 1500.
Type of leveling kit
When it comes to leveling kits for your Ram 1500, there are three main types available: spacer lift kits, strut extension kits and torsion bar keys.
A spacer lift kit is an easy installation that simply involves spacing out the factory body mounts to level the front of the vehicle. This type of kit usually entails using plastic spacers and longer body bolts, and does not involve tampering with the factory struts or shocks in any way.
A strut extension kit works with higher lifts of 1-2″ by replacing a portion of the stock suspension components including the coils and struts. Once fitted, your ride quality can benefit from improved stance, balance and stability.
Torsion bar keys work best when lifting trucks up 2” or more in height as they can provide additional stiffness or softness depending on your requirements. Aftermarket torsion bar keys are designed to be installed instead of the original factory ones which will adjust preload tension to your desired settings and raise your vehicle’s height significantly in most cases if used correctly!
Quality of the leveling kit
When shopping for a leveling kit for your Ram 1500, you want to make sure you purchase a kit that is made with quality in mind. A good leveling kit should be made of quality materials and should include the necessary components needed to successfully level your vehicle in an efficient, yet safe manner.
Pay particular attention to the type of steel used in the construction of the kit — higher grade, stronger metals are going to provide better performance and durability than inferior grade products. Additionally, some kits provide extra pieces such as skid plates or sway bar links which can provide added reinforcement but may also come at an additional cost.
Be sure to read all specifications carefully when looking at different kits so you can determine which one is best suited for your needs.
Installing a leveling kit on the Ram 1500 is a relatively straightforward process that can take up to 3.5 hours, depending on your level of experience. Before beginning the installation process, make sure you have the necessary tools and supplies needed to complete the job. It’s also important to familiarize yourself with the parts and procedure you will be following as well as any additional lift kit components, such as spacers or torsion bar keys, in case you need them.
When installing an aftermarket leveling kit on your Ram 1500, it is important to remember that all vehicles have different suspension configurations and setups; therefore, not all installation processes are identical. To ensure you get a perfect fit for your Ram 1500 with little effort and no guesswork involved, we highly recommend using a leveling kit specifically built for your vehicle’s exact make and model.
The installation process begins by disconnecting the battery before disassembling any parts of the suspension:
1) Use a floor jack to temporarily raise the front of your Ram 1500 in order to gain access to the front suspension area;
2) Disconnect both ends of the stabilizer bar end links from their respective mounting point brackets located at either side of your vehicle’s chassis;
3) Unbolt both torsion bars from their mounting points;
4) If applicable for your application, remove any spacers or keys present in conjunction with these components;
5) Attach both ends of the aftermarket leveling shock onto its respective bracket’s studs; being sure that it mount properly towards its correct orientation (allows full droop travel);
6) Now lower your vehicle onto its wheels again while keeping hold of those two exposed studs (these will served as holder pockets), this way they can be accessed easier when installing those offered-leveling shocks;
7) Placea provided spacer between each side of frame cross members behind these two pocket mounted sides before lightly tightening up all nuts into place;
8) Now replace back all length-dependent rather than tie rod connected components such as stabilizer bars so theyno longer loose nor too tight afterwards. Finally reconnect battery again afterwards as well (completing ignition sequence).
When considering a leveling kit for your Ram 1500, there are many factors to consider. From desired load support to wheel/tire size selection and installation, the decision is yours. This guide has provided an overview of lift kits and featured some of the most popular kits to help you on your journey. It is important to always research and confirm that any lift or leveling kit purchased is designed to fit the make, model, and year of your vehicle.
Installation of lift or leveling kits can be done at home with basic tools but should always come with comprehensive installation instructions. If you opt to install yourself, take all necessary safety precautions as outlined in the instructions and always remember that there can be a wide variety between kits depending on construction, features and quality of parts. It’s always a wise idea to use a reputable dealer or mechanic when attempting larger projects such as these so you don’t encounter any unintended problems down the road or incur unforeseen expenses related to improper installation or use of inferior parts.
How do I know what leveling kit I need?
You need to consider the make and model of your vehicle, the desired height increase, and the type of leveling kit you want to install.
Which leveling kit is best for Ram 1500?
There are several good leveling kits available for Ram 1500, including those from Rough Country, Bilstein, and ReadyLIFT.
What does a leveling kit do for a Ram 1500?
A leveling kit raises the front of the truck to match the height of the rear, improving the appearance and allowing for larger tires.
What is the disadvantage of leveling kit?
The main disadvantage of a leveling kit is that it can affect the ride quality and handling of the vehicle, especially if not installed properly.
Can you put a leveling kit on a Ram 1500?
Yes, a leveling kit can be installed on a Ram 1500.
Does a leveling kit affect anything?
A leveling kit can affect the ride quality, handling, and alignment of the vehicle if not installed properly.
Are leveling kits good or bad?
Leveling kits can be good or bad depending on the quality of the kit and the installation process.
Does leveling kit affect ride quality?
Yes, a leveling kit can affect the ride quality of the vehicle, especially if not installed properly.
Does a leveling kit void warranty Ram 1500?
Installing a leveling kit may void certain parts of the warranty, so it’s important to check with the manufacturer or dealership before installation.
Does a leveling kit affect 4×4?
A leveling kit can affect the 4×4 system if not installed properly, so it’s important to choose a high-quality kit and have it installed by a professional.
See Also :
- Best leveling kit for ram 1500
- Best synthetic oil for ram 1500 hemi
- Best exhaust for ram 1500
- Best tailgate assist for ram 1500
- Best mud flaps for ram 1500